September is Healthy Aging Month
Did you know that the entire month of September is dedicated to healthy aging awareness? That goes to show how important this topic is! While we cannot completely stop the aging process, we can ensure that we are taking care of our aging skin, so we age gracefully. Who doesn’t want to look 30 when they are 50?!
While the sun does play a large role in aging our skin there are other things that age our skin at a faster rate. Here are some tips on how to prevent premature aging.
- Protect your skin from the sun every day. We mention sun protection in our newsletter almost every month, it’s because we cannot stress enough how important sun protection is. Make sure you are wearing water-resistant, broad-spectrum SPF at a power of 30 or higher. Even if you are running errands, this is an important step in preventing premature aging against the sun’s powerful rays.
- If you are a smoker, it’s time to quit! Not only is smoking bad for your lungs but smoking speeds up the skin aging process. It causes wrinkles and a dull, sallow complexion. Smokers who have quit, often notice that after a period of time, their skin bounces back and looks healthier.
- Grab those sunglasses! Repetitive facial expressions can cause wear to the muscle and cause permanent lines. Squinting due to the bright sun rays can cause eye lines, so grab those sunglasses!
- Eat a healthy diet and drink less alcohol. Studies have shown that a diet containing lots of sugar, refined carbs, and alcohol can speed up the aging process. Alcohol can dehydrate the skin and damage it.
- Find a skincare routine! Make sure you wash your face, gently cleanse your skin, and apply a facial moisturizer daily. This routine leaves a clean, hydrated face that will give you a more youthful appearance. Stop using products on your skin that sting or burn, those do not help your skin.
If you are showing signs of aging skin and looking for alternative treatments give one of our board-certified dermatologists a call. There are many treatments out there that can help smooth wrinkles, tighten skin, and help give you that younger appearance we are all looking for!