Skin tags are very common soft harmless lesions that appear to hang off the skin.
Skin Tags Treatment
What Are Skin Tags?
Also Described As:
- Fibroepithelial polyps
- Soft fibromas
- Pedunculated (this means they are on a stalk)
- Filiform (this means they are thread-like)
They develop in both men and women as they grow older. They are skin-colored or darker and range in size from 1mm to 5cm. They are most often found in the skin folds (neck, armpits, and groin). They tend to be more numerous in obese persons and in those with type 2 diabetes mellitus.
What Causes Them?
It is not known what causes skin tags. However, the following factors may play a role:
- Chafing and irritation from skin rubbing together
- High levels of growth factors, particularly during pregnancy or in acromegaly (gigantism)
- Insulin resistance (syndrome X)
- Human papillomavirus (wart virus)
Schedule an appointment with one of our medical providers to see which treatment is best for you.
*Skin tag removal is considered a cosmetic removal and is not covered by insurance.